- Maxwell Perkins
- 6 Hours 16 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Sep 21, 2018
Spectrum of Cognitive/Memory Decline: Latest Research
- Reversible causes
- Effect on Executive Function (EF)
- Cannabis use
Memory Loss and Cognitive Impact: Clinical Examples
- Normal memory/cognitive decline
- Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
- Mild Alzheimer’s Disease (AD)
- Moderate AD
- Severe AD
- Relationship to EF
Cognitive Assessments: Hands on Activities
- Trail Making
- Stroop Color
Interventions for Contributing Factors
- Depression and suicide: Assessments, referral needs, non-medication therapy
- Sleep issues: Sleep log, sleep hygiene program, environmental strategies
- Mental and physical inactivity: Brain stimulation activities, exercise programs/guidelines
- Vision and hearing loss: Sharpen your observational skills, referral needs, lighting strategies
Interventions for Independence and Safety Issues
- Falls: Computer-based training, decrease risk, increase reaction time, home safety checklist
- Driving: Assessment tools, strategies for cessation of driving, state requirements
- Medication: Self-medication management assessment tool, self-strategies for adherence, caregiver training
- Home Management: Adaptive equipment, strategies for home safety, appropriate discharge environment
- Communication: Strategies for working with caregivers and physicians
Interventions for Managing Memory/Cognitive Decline
- Physical Exercise: Best type, program implementation, shoes
- Communication: Creating stage appropriate handouts
- Computer-based Cognitive Training: Use and evidence-based outcomes
- Spaced Retrieval: Incorporating into treatment, baseline for patient education
- Compensatory Strategies: Lists, calendars, skill set money management
Education and Resources
- Caregiver: Burnout, support systems, community services
- Medicare Guidelines: Documentation requirements, assessment facts
- Web resources: Support groups
Maxwell Perkins, MS, OTR/L, is an occupational therapist with extensive experience with interdisciplinary clinical management focusing on the geriatric population. His clinical focus is on effective assessment and intervention for older adults experiencing memory/cognition issues in a variety of clinical settings including, acute inpatient/outpatient and skilled nursing facilities. Maxwell is an independent consultant/educator and previously served as the rehab education director for two large health care organizations. He presents continuing education workshops nationally and locally and is an adjunct professor in the Pacific University Occupational Therapy program in Forrest Grove, Oregon. He also is a member of the State of Oregon Occupational Therapy Licensure Board.
Financial: Maxwell Perkins is an independent consultant. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Maxwell Perkins is a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!