- Kathleen Kovarik
- Full Day
- Audio and Video
- Jan 27, 2016
What are Your Values?
- Exploration of Foundational Beliefs/Values
- Values Exercise
- Sharpening Critical Thinking Skills
- Human Medical Experimentation and Evolution of Ethics
- Key Cases and Codes
- Presidents Garfield and McKinley
- Tuskegee Syphilis Study
- Nuremburg Trials and Nuremburg Code
- Declaration of Helsinki
- The “God Committee” and Dialysis
- Recent Application of Ethical Decisions in the U.S.
- When is it Appropriate to Involve the Ethics Committee?
- Seeking Consultation: How To’s
- Understanding the Composition of Committees/Models
- Ethical Viewpoints and Stances
- Deontology versus Teleology
- Objectivism versus Relativism
- Key Theories
- Kantian Ethics
- Natural Law
- Rawlsian Ethics
- Ethic of Care
- Rights-Based Ethics
- Communitarian Ethics
- Respect for Persons
Ethical Decision-Making: A Toolkit for Practice
- Framing Ethical Questions and Problems
- Decision-Making Formats and Tools
- The Four-Quadrant Approach
- Bennett-Woods Eight Step Model
The Most Controversial Cases
- Classic, Precedent-Setting Cases
- Current Ethical Dilemmas and Recent Cases
- Living Wills, Advance Directives, DNRs and ANDs
- Cases Involving Personhood Definitions
- Issues of Informed Consent
- What are some of the Most Complex Cases You’ve Encountered?
Dealing with Ethical Dilemmas: Decision-Making Team Practice
- A Dilemma of Limited Resources: Hurricane Katrina and Mercy Hospital
Exercising Ethical Leadership
- Ethical Leadership in the Workplace
- Keeping Current on Ethical Issues
- Ethical Dilemmas on the Horizon: Advancing Technology
- Recent Research: A Sampler
- Educational Opportunities in
- Health-Care Ethics
Kathleen Kovarik, PhD, RN, is an experienced clinician and educator with 17 years of teaching and lecturing in a variety of settings (schools of nursing, regional and national conferences, workshops and retreats). Her clinical experiences have taken her from a Level I Trauma Center Regional Burn Unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, to summers working home care for Visiting Nurses in Spokane, WA, to launching a Parish Nursing program in Missoula, MT. Currently, Kathleen calls the Black Hills of South Dakota her home, where she serves as an Ethics Committee member for Regional Health in Rapid City, is the director of Faces of Leadership (leadership training and consultation), teaches Applied Health-Care Ethics for Regis University in Denver, and team-teaches an Interdisciplinary Palliative Care Course as clinical faculty for the University of South Dakota’s medical school.
Dr. Kovarik has pursued her love of ethics and has taught ethics content for many years in her faculty positions with Washington State University and South Dakota State University. Her work in a Level I Trauma Center/Burn Unit and in home care/parish nursing gives her a broad- spectrum viewpoint and rich experiences to share. She developed expertise in pain management and end-of-life care, and was selected to serve on the Board of the Washington-Alaska State Cancer Pain Initiative and to do a fellowship with the University of Colorado in pediatric pain management.
Financial: Kathleen Kovarik is the Executive Director for Faces of Leadership. She has an employment relationship with Regis University. Dr. Kovarik receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Kathleen Kovarik has no nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!