- Justin Lyons
- 6 Hours 43 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Dec 06, 2019
Assess the State of Your School Environment Today
- Defining the environments of learning
- Movement and neuroplasticity – identify the crucial connection to learning
- Technology in the schools – the pros and cons
- Universal Design and ergonomics in the classroom
- Surveying the workspace/class space – Checklists and handouts
Setting the Stage to Optimize a Multi-Sensory Experience
- Video demonstration and Learning Lab
- Recognizing the 8 senses in action
- Real-time assessment of the classroom
- Impact of technology
- Stressors of learning
STRATEGIES AND THE “HOW-TO”
Ergonomic Solutions for Optimal Learning Environments
- Simple DIY tricks for the classroom
- Seating solutions – tall vs. short, wiggle seats, and more!
- Reduce clutter and other classroom organization hacks
- Classroom design ideas that promote executive functioning skills
- How to incorporate light and color to promote learning
- The “20/20/20 Rule” and other ergonomic tips for better endurance and attention
- ”Common scents” – aromatherapy pointers for the class or student
”Get Moving”: Strategies to Support Active Bodies in the Classroom
- ”No need to interrupt instruction time”
- Put the hands back into “hands-on” learning – leave the computer out of this!
- ”Go-to exercises” for the whole classroom to:
- Preserve health and wellness
- Incorporate fun into the day
- Increase endurance and efficiency
- Foster movement and reduce dysregulation
- And more!
Sensory-Motor Techniques to Improve Classroom Skills: Hands-on Lab
- Multisensory approach for skill retention
- Proprioceptive strategies – letter recognition, formation, sizing and spacing
- Vestibular and visual connection – reading and note-taking outcomes
- Sensory suggestions – executive functioning skills (alerts and visual reminders)
- Sensory-based tools to get students engaged – gum chewing, mini-sensory stations and therapy balls …
- Visual-motor games and strategies – vision-based school tasks
- Group activities to build social learning skills and classroom connection
- Low-tech strategies (you don’t need an app for everything!)
Redesigning the Emotional Culture of the Class: What is the Language of Your Classroom
- Fostering a “growth mindset”
- Breathing and muscle relaxation techniques
- Address the stress: “Go-to” mindfulness activities and guided imagery
- Language hints and tricks to manage challenging behaviors
Justin Lyons, MS OTR/L, has had over a decade of experience working with children of all ages and all abilities, in school, home, camp and community settings. As an occupational therapist, he has served a multitude of pediatric populations, especially the learning disabled, emotionally disturbed and autistic spectrum populations. He currently works at a premiere special needs school in NYC, where he developed a life-coaching program for pre-teens and teens.
Justin has been a presenter at the AOTA conference and both an adjunct professor and guest lecturer for a Master’s occupational therapy program. Justin mentors other aspiring occupational therapists, by encouraging evidence-based practice and compassion for the human experience. He has provided seminars in the community to help parents and students understand the brain and the senses. He has provided services as an expert witness in child occupational performance in a school setting. Justin has practiced as a certified Irlen screener.
Financial: Justin Lyons has an employment relationship with The Summit School. He is the founder and owner of Special Connects LLC. Mr. Lyons receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Justin Lyons is a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!