- Hayden Center
- 6 Hours 11 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Aug 23, 2018
The Unique Nature of Opioid Addiction
- Distinct risks of opioid abuse
- What neuroscience and biology reveal about opioid use
- Brain centers – the relationship between brain centers and pain
- The pleasure factor and the addicted brain
- Differences from other substance use disorders
- How chronic opioid use changes the brain
Overcome The “Why Try” Effect and Other Barriers to Opioid Use Disorder Treatment
- Separation of the mental health and addiction treatment systems
- Detox vs. maintenance treatment
- Availability and affordability
- Overcoming social stigma
- Combatting the “why try” effect, self-stigma, and shame
Psychotherapeutic Approaches for Treating Opioid Use Disorder
- Signs of opioid abuse and questions to ask
- CBT – recent studies
- Motivational Interviewing and commitment to change
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy – confidence and coping skills
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Family counseling
- How Contingency Management can be used with opioid use disorders
- Adjunct approaches
- Assess and modify treatment to ensure effectiveness
- Research limitations and risks of psychotherapeutic approaches
Identify and Treat Co-Occurring Disorders
- The impact of co-occurring disorders on treatment outcomes
- Primary disorders vs. substance-induced co-occurring disorders
- Screening procedures and tools
- Questions to ask
- Safety issues
- Recording results
- Trauma history
- What to do about chronic pain?
- Treatment considerations and planning
- Validity in co-occurring treatment research
- Risks associated with co-occurring treatment options
Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT): How the Once Controversial Approach of Treating Addiction with Drugs Can Help Recovery
- Research and the latest findings
- Methadone, buprenorphine, naltrexone
- Benefits, drawbacks and risks of MAT
- Role of the behavioral health clinician in MAT
Hayden Center, PhD, LPC, has been treating individuals and families who suffer from substance abuse disorders, including opioid use disorder, for over 25 years in a private practice setting. Dr. Center most recently served as the evaluator for the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention’s (CSAP) Southeast Center for the Application of Prevention Technologies (SECAPT) and the Border Center for the Application of Prevention Technologies (BCAPT).
Dr. Center served as a consultant to the Alabama Governor’s Office of Drug Abuse Policy for 10 years and has worked with numerous state and local agencies in the state of Alabama.
He has provided over 200 trainings on the topics of science-based prevention, evaluation, risk and protective factors, co-occurring disorders, and other mental health and substance abuse issues. His current interests are providing training and technical assistance to increase the usage and effectiveness of evidence-based treatments and approaches.
In addition to his private practice, Dr. Center has taught in university settings for over 28 years. He teaches graduate-level courses in Theories of Psychotherapy, Advanced Objective Testing, Psychopharmacology, and undergraduate courses in psychology at Auburn University in Montgomery, Alabama. He earned his PhD in counselor education and Master of Science in psychology at Auburn University in Montgomery, Alabama.
Financial: Hayden Center maintains a private practice. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Hayden Center has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!