- Harold Ivan Smith
- 6 Hours 14 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- May 01, 2015
Move your clients forward through extreme trauma and multiple losses that cause great grief in their lives
Tools for creating safe havens in the presence of rage, guilt, despair, helplessness
Gain greater confidence in your ability to foster hope, healing & integration
“I do not ‘want’ to get over my grief.’” “I will deal with grief later.” “I want my ‘normal’ back.” These are statements you have heard time and time again from clients coming to you for help with bereavement. Attend this seminar and learn skills and tools that you need to effectively move your clients forward through extreme trauma and multiple losses that clients experience that cause great grief in their lives. Learn techniques that you can use to help clients imagine a future beyond their grief.
Join national grief expert, author, and respected speaker Harold Ivan Smith for a day filled with proven assessment and creative treatment strategies for even your most complex clients. Pulling from more than 30 years of experience, Harold Ivan has trained more than 20,000 professionals in bereavement workshops across the country, sharing innovative, practical techniques for promoting healing in a therapeutic setting. Spend more than half of the day focusing on treatment-specific strategies that you can implement in your practice immediately to help grieving persons.
Through class discussions, case studies and a comprehensive resource manual full of creative and functional treatment approaches, you will learn how to uncover what clients are hiding from you when discussing their trauma. You will also learn strategies to help clients with multiple exposures to trauma and loss work through the many layers of their grief. Experience Harold Ivan’s passion for his work with grief in an energized learning environment, leaving with a renewed outlook and new skills to work with even the most difficult and complicated losses.
BONUS! Become a Certified Grief Counseling Specialist (CGCS)! Completing this training is the first step in becoming Certified through the International Association of Trauma Professionals.
Show your employer, clients, and fellow professionals your commitment to honing your skills and staying up to date on grief counseling techniques.
Visit www.traumapro.net/grief to get started!
Normal Grief: Tools for Evaluation, Assessment and Treatment
- Early Grief, Second Storm, and the Search for Meaning
- Signs of Early Grief
- Denial, High Anxiety, Numbness
- Enhancing Support Networks
- Develop Inner Strengths
- Anticipate the “Second Storm”
- Managing Healthy Reactions
- Journey Toward Renewal of Meaning, Purpose
Defusing Past Grieving Myths
- Reach Beyond the “Five Stages”
- Validate Instrumental Grievers
- Acknowledging Religion, Culture, Ethnicity, Gender
Complicated and Traumatic Grief: Tools for Evaluation, Assessment and Treatment
- Six “R” Processes
- DSM-5® and Prolonged Grief Disorder
- Rage, Guilt, Despair, Helplessness, Persistent Denial
- Distorted, Chronic, Delayed and Absent Grief
- Disenfranchised Grief
Strategies for Traumatic Loss
- Re-telling Strategies
- Restorative Narrative
- Borrowing Narratives
Designing Interventions—Maintaining Empathy, and Responsible Judgment
- Effective Use of Self-disclosure
- The Culpability Continuum
- Ritual, Memorializing and
Bringing Your Whole Self to Grief Counseling
- Anticipating, Acknowledging
- Compassion Fatigue
- Defusing Personal Triggers, Worst Fears
- Spiritual, Existential Crisis
- Confidence Builders
Harold Ivan Smith, MA, ED.S., FT, DMin, is a national speaker, noted author, experienced counselor and grief educator. He has presented bereavement workshops across the country, training more than 20,000 professionals and lay caregivers during a thirty-year career. Seminar and conference attendees rave about interactions with Harold Ivan, and his insightful gifts of helping, healing, and facilitating grief.
A prolific writer, he has authored dozens of books and resources, included best seller, A Decembered Grief: Living with Loss When Others are Celebrating. Also among his titles are Griefkeeping: Learning How Long Grief Lasts; ABCs of Healthy Bereavement; Grievers Ask, When You Don’t Know What to Say; When Your Friend Dies; Finding Your Way to Say Goodbye: Comfort for the Dying and Those Who Care for Them; and Grieving the Death of a Father. His newest book, Using Biographical and Historical Grief Narratives With The Bereaving (Routledge).
He is also an authority of the griefs of American Presidents and First Ladies. He facilitates Grief Gatherings, an innovative storytelling program at Saint Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, where he is a member of the teaching faculty. Harold Ivan is active in the Association for Death Education and Counseling (ADEC) and is designated a Fellow in Thanatology (FT).
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!