- Fran Hoh
- 6 Hours 11 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- May 13, 2014
Crucial Conversations & Effective Techniques
Compare Benefits of Palliative Care vs. Hospice Care
Advance Directives: Legal Guidance for Decisions
Ethical End of Life Challenges
Tips to Keep Your Dying Patient Pain Free
Quality of Life: The Latest in Symptom Management
There is a renewed focus in health care today on comfort care at the end of life. Research studies reveal that health professionals need to know more about the needs of dying persons regardless of setting: hospital, skilled nursing facility, home care or hospice.
This important topic is seldom taught in medical or nursing school, yet the death rate on our planet is 100%! How, then, is the most supportive end of life care learned today? The answer is through the knowledge and experiences shared by those who have been at the bedsides of dying patients. Your experienced clinician for this educational event, Fran Hoh, PhD, APN, CS, ACHPN, has mentored and educated many patients, family members and healthcare colleagues. She will provide you with concrete strategies to identify patients for whom aggressive therapy is not appropriate, tips to have conversations that address realistic and anticipated goals for care, and the latest when it comes to managing symptoms effectively, specifically pain.
Each end of life patient trusted to your care deserves your compassionate commitment to accompany them well on the final journey of their life.
The Patient at End of Life
- Palliative care vs. hospice care
- Barriers to providing quality care at the end of life
- Research that addresses death and dying
Family Communication at End of Life
- Specific challenges addressed
- Assessing goals of care
- Communication strategies
- Interdisciplinary approach
- POLST/Advance directive documents
- Examples of crucial conversations
Providing Holistic Care at End of Life
- Cultural considerations
- Grief and loss
- Extent of symptoms
- Impact on family
- Type of disease and prior treatment success or failure
- Legal/Ethical Issues
Symptom Management at End of Life
- Press Ganey
- Nursing interventions that impact satisfaction scores
- Performance improvement strategies
- The Joint Commission Standards
- Using MDS in long term care to capture pain management
Fran Hoh, PhD, APN, CS, ACHPN, is an advanced practice nurse who is passionate about end of life care. As such, her doctorate in health administration allowed her to focus her dissertation work on pain management. She currently practices in a hospital as the manager of the inpatient pain service, where she instituted the pain resource nurse program. In this role, Dr. Hoh has been responsible for educating hundreds of nurses to successfully advocate for improved patient pain management. Additionally, she has her own practice, Always Think Comfort, in which she provides palliative care services to patients in long term care facilities, with the goal of preventing unplanned and unnecessary hospitalizations.
As one of the first trained ELNEC (End of Life Nursing Education Consortium) Trainers, Fran has trained nurses around the country in holistic end of life care. She presented the full day ELNEC course as a preconference at the national ASPMN (American Society of Pain Management Nurses) annual meeting for several years.
She currently holds three national certifications, including: pain management, advanced practice nurse in hospice and palliative care, and as a clinical nurse specialist in adult nursing. Fran has received recognition for her numerous contributions: she received the Clinical Nurse of the Year award from the American Society of Pain Management Nurses and the Nurse Excellence Award from Overlook Hospital. As a published author and respected national presenter, she has a wealth of knowledge to share from her vast clinical experiences caring for end of life patients.
Financial: Fran Hoh is receiving a fee for speaking at this educational activity. Fran is on the speaker’s bureau for Cadence Pharmaceutical. She receives royalties for Pain Medications and You and A Comprehensive guide to survive and thrive through PESI Publishing and Media.
Nonfinancial: Fran Hoh has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!