- Douglas Braun-Harvey
- 6 Hours 3 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Mar 06, 2017
Avoiding Sex Talk in Psychotherapy?
- Therapist avoidance of sex talk
- Client avoidance of sex talk
- The problem with avoiding sex talk
- Assessing current level of preparation for talking about sex
Sexual Health Conversations
- The six “S’s”: Common behavior patterns to avoid talking about sex
- Managing your anxiety when talking about sex
- Do you suffer from “premature evaluation”?
What is Sexual Health?
- Definitions of sexual health
- Cultural and moral foundations within sexual health
- Sexual health value systems
Why Sexual Health?
- Self-reflection on personal sexual health
- Client self-reflection on their sexual health
- Improve treatment outcomes through sexual health conversation
Six Fundamentals of sexual health
- Protected from HIV, STI’s and unplanned or unwanted pregnancy
- Shared Values
Fundamentals of Sexual Health Conversation
- Suspending judgment
- Affirm sexual pleasure
- Sexuality as a central and basic human need
- Behavior/symptoms as attempt to address a sexual worry or concern
- Stage of readiness for sexual health change
Key Sexual Health Conversation Skills
- Establish psychological safety
- Suspend judgment about sexual practices
- Process Here/Now sexual health moments in therapy
- Frame therapy content within sexual health principles
- Block interference with sexual health conversation
- Therapist transparency
- Sexual health conversation in individual therapy, couples and group therapy
- Three sexual health conversation skills for interns and supervisees
Douglas Braun-Harvey, MFT, CGP, CST, is a sexual health author, trainer and psychotherapist. He bridges sexual and mental health and facilitates organizational change. In 2013 he co-founded The Harvey Institute, an international education, training, consulting and supervision service for improving healthcare through integration of sexual health.
Braun-Harvey teaches and trains nationally and internationally linking sexual health principles within individual, couples and group psychotherapy, drug and alcohol treatment, HIV prevention and treatment, child welfare, reproductive health and prevention of child maltreatment.
Since 1993 he has been developing and implementing a sexual health based treatment approach for men with out of control sexual behavior (OCSB). His new book Treating Out of Control Sexual Behavior: Rethinking Sex Addiction written with co-author Michael Vigorito was published in 2015. Previous publications include Sexual Health in Recovery: Professional Counselor’s Manual (2011) and Sexual Health in Drug and Alcohol Treatment: Group Facilitator’s Manual (2009).
Mr. Braun-Harvey is Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified Group Psychotherapist and Certified Sex Therapist. He serves as treasurer of AASECT and is honored, as an alumni of the University of Minnesota, to join their Leadership Council for the Program in Human Sexuality in which he is a founding donor of the Doug Braun-Harvey Fellowship in Compulsive Sexual Behavior. He has been providing sexual health-based individual and group therapy in his San Diego private practice for almost 30 years.
Financial: Douglas Braun-Harvey is co-founder of The Harvey Institute, Inc. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Douglas Braun-Harvey has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
– After your purchase, you’ll see a View your orders link which goes to the Downloads page. Here, you can download all the files associated with your order.
– Downloads are available once your payment is confirmed, we’ll also send you a download notification email separate from any transaction notification emails you receive from courselamps.com.
– Since it is a digital copy, our suggestion is to download and save it to your hard drive. In case the link is broken for any reason, please contact us and we will resend the new download link.
– If you cannot find the download link, please don’t worry about that. We will update and notify you as soon as possible at 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (UTC+8).
Thank You For Shopping With Us!